Sunday, July 23, 2023

Arp 2600 Synth Preamp Workalike--get a 10x-100x-1000x Boost!!

Hats off to this blog's sponsor, PCBWAY....check out their Community Page--clicking those links lets 'em know I have readers, which helps me create new projects. Thanks!

==========

This time I continue to clone or knock off subcircuits from the legendary ARP 2600 synthesizer.  From my patient sponsor PCBWAY I recently received an ARP 2600 inspired synthesizer preamp PCB I laid out.  Let's see if my design works or is butt.

But first, here's an incredible (?) piece of luck....I was walking around my neighborhood the other day and in a sidewalk box bursting with "Covid Pandemic--Free Stuff!" discards found an almost new-in-box Radioshack/Realistic dynamic microphone circa 1970 or so:

USD $9.95! Hi-Fi Response! 10K impedence!

The box was a bit worn but the mic inside was perfect....being period correct and all, I will use that to test my preamp. 

The mic terminates in a 1/4" plug; I used a 3.5mm cable adapter a DJ I worked with long ago gave me. Can't beat FREE. 

ARP's design is a single op amp stage with a 3 way switch to select x10, x100 or x1000 boost by choosing different resistors in its negative feedback loop.  


I know (knew?) zlich about mic preamp design but digging around the Internet:using op amps for the gain stages was an easy way to go.

I figured the hardest thing was finding a "Range" 3 or 4 position toggle switch I liked. After a bit of thought I decided to have each output signal (x10, x100, x1000) have its own 3.5mm jack instead of using a switch. This took up more space but was simpler to lay out. 

I also decided to provide a cap-coupled AC input and a DC input; the ARP is only capacitor coupled only. The DC input would be normaled to break the connection to the AC input if used.

Furthermore, I brought a x1 output to patch to use as a unity gain buffer. 

You can get the original schematic for the ARP preamp here (go to page 11). It's a pretty simple single op amp design; ARP used a Teledyne 133901 op amp with some clever resistor switching to get different output levels. 

I took a different (and I think, simpler) approach to ARP's; I used 4 op amp stages in series:

The rest is power and jacks...."keep it simple, stupid."

New boards from PCBWAY....

   



  

SOIC op amps were used to save space....


Ready to test....

I found that the .1uF filter caps for the op amps (not installed yet) were necessary to get rid of a bad buzz at the x100 and x1000 gain outputs.

When I first powered up the board it acted strange--the 10x output seemed too "hot" and the 100x and 1000x outputs were slammed against V--.  

After looking at this for a bit I realized I used the wrong values for R5, R8 and R21--specifically 1M instead of 100K, the extra zeros pushed the circuit into impossible amounts of gain--making the op amps do wacky things.

With the resistor values corrected the circuit worked and sounded OK, even with my big dude $9.95 70's era microphone.  Not great--a lot of hiss and noise--but....OK.

I also made my first microphone for the project--a surplus dynamic mic element (Triad 1D1P 14R06C), cable tied into a plastic gum dispenser with some foam rubber shoved in for good measure. It worked, but sounded--well, crap. Maybe it sounds so bad it sounds good? Things can only get better!

But--am I done?  Nope. I was going to lay out a front panel, stick it in front of this PCB, put the gerbers etc. up on PCBWAY's project page, put it in my rack, and call it a day. 

Then realized if I ever wanted to experiment with low noise design techniques, this is the project!  

To that end: in the next few weeks, I will try different things--lower noise op amps, 2 sided ground pour, better power filtering, ferrite beads, etc., to see what if anything makes a difference.  

Make me proud, son!

Of course the freebee mic may be the source of some or a lot of the noise, but hey, I have other microphones.  

Assuming the upgraded design sounds better than what I built today, I will upload that to PCBWAY's project page, post the schematic, include a BOM, and so on, the usual thing.

Until then, don't amplify the fumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Son of Anything To Clock--LM311, Lower Parts Count

Readers:  If you want to build the project featured in today's post, please go to  PCBWAY's  Community pages --a gerber ready to dow...